Friday, May 1, 2009

Chinese Lucky Cat (a short story)


PROLOGUE

...valued by humans for its companionship...
...can be trained to obey simple commands...
...have also been known to learn on their own to manipulate simple mechanisms...



I never liked cats. Those good for nothing animals...

All they do is cuddle you, but only when they feel like it. And rats are their favorite diet!

That's why I was so friggin' surprised when I came to love just this one cat.

Prettiest thing I've ever seen back then, much as I hate its kind. Took care of it as if it was my most valuable possession. Fed it, even tried to train it to some extent. Long story short, I learned to love it. And somehow, it loved me back.

But as with all good things in this world, some shit is eventually bound to happen.

Coming home from school, I was surprised when I couldn't find my cat anywhere inside the house. Looked everywhere, then moved on searching outside the house. Until nightfall. Wasn't sure at first but was so fuckin' surprised when I finally heard it purr inside the house of some faraway neighbor. Me, being the jealous type, flared up. A LOT. Got into an argument with whoever owned the house. An argument that ended in a brawl, with my eyes severely damaged that I eventually had to wear glasses. Been wearing it for years now. *sigh*

Years passed. I still have the cat, and I hate its kind even more. Great times, worst ones, we spent together. With my glasses on, of course. Why I never bothered to find another pet, I do not know.

I'd skip some events now 'coz my cat's already bitchin' 'bout me spending too much time for this composition. Whew!

And mind you, taking care of this cat is no easy task in all respect!!!!
Emotionally...
Intellectually...
Physically...

I'd love to elaborate more on this but again, my apologies.

My bitchin' cat, remember?

But just to prove a point. I have my pen on one hand, and a cane on the other. Yep. A cane. A sturdy, reliable one if I might add.

My cane to walk and glasses to see.

And this silly cat sleeping beside me.


EPILOGUE

First few months of having my cat, made a few discoveries about its past. It was actually owned by someone previously for quite a while. But for reasons only the previous owner would ever really know, he rid himself of it. That was when I found the cat. And changed my life forever.


For me, it’s a very subjective topic whether or not it had brought me good luck, or misfortune. One thing's for sure, though: THE KITTENS ARE LOVELY!!!

1 comment: